Monday, July 4, 2011

couponing tips, tricks and hints part 1

So, let me start by saying welcome to my blog! This all started after a post on Facebook about how much money I’d saved on a shopping trip, so I am hoping to help others learn to save whether it be $5 on your next grocery trip or cutting  your grocery by nearly half.
If you are looking to purchase 65 bottles of mustard, 112 boxes of cat food, etc this is not the blog for you. I coupon to stock up on staples, not prepare for a nuclear fallout. And if you think you don't have time you are mistaken, I spend about an hour per week preparing for my shopping trip(s).  It all began about 5 years ago, being a broke military couple you learn to save in any way possible and now living on one income every penny saved helps me stay a stay at home mom and nothing in the world is more important to me than being with my baby boy.
Here are some tips that help me suceed:
Planning, planning, planning! I can't say that enough! Know what you are going into the store for and stick to it! I have banned my husband from going grocery shopping for this very reason...he is an impulse shopper like no other. Make yourself a list and if you are planning to shop at multiple stores in the same trip keep your coupons for that store clipped to your list. Being organized now will keep you from paying more later!
Take advantage of the internet! There are a number of sites that have links to coupons and will actually email you lists of your favorite store's sales with coupons matched up to the products!! This will save you so much time! Some links to My favorite websites for coupon matchups are coupon mom, Krazy coupon lady (as seen on TLC's extreme couponing) and mylitter (as seen on TLC's extreme couponing)
Some of my favorite sites to score great printable coupons : coupons.comPillsburyBetty Crocker, and Target (great coupons!!) a lot of the coupon matchup sites have great links to printable coupons as well. Another great tip to keep in mind is to check websites of your favorite products to see if they offer coupons and if they don't you can always email them asking for coupons or special offers. I have had really good luck with that. I also get a Sunday paper and have asked a few people to save their unwanted coupons for me (Thanks Jess and Judy!!)
and also very important--COVER YOURSELF! Be familiar with your store's coupon policy so that you maximize your savings while paying minimal cost. Most stores list their coupon policy on their websites and if you don't see it check your favorite coupon website or Google it.
Keep in mind that items go on sale in cycles, so if you can affor to stock up on a few extras every time you shop you will be saving more in the long run.Just be sure to limit yourself to the amount of money you're willing to spend on those "stock up items" otherwise you'll be breaking the bank on a weekly basis. Right now you can get a lot for meat, condiments, buns (bread freezes well!) etc for cheap due to summertime and the holidays. During Nov & Dec baking items are cheap, Jan health foods and that type of thing...it takes some time to learn the patterns but will be a huge payoff.
My favorite place to shop by far is Target, and if you are lucky enough to have a super Target in your area you can really score some great deals. My favorite thing about Target's coupon policy is that you can use a Target coupon with a manufacturer's coupon. They usually run quite a few coupons that will pair up with the current newspaper coupons.  For example: last week I printed coupons for Biore facial  cleansing cloths. The Target cpn was to save $2 on two, and I had two $1.25 off 1 newspaper cpns. My store had them on sale for $3.39 so $6.78 for two -$4.25 in coupons =$2.53 for two...That's $1.26 per package and two month's worth of clean faces!!
Another great way to save money is shopping at grocery stores that double coupons. Kroger, Farm Fresh, Harris Teeter do in my area and for those of you shopping in Texarkana, Albertson's does too. This means your 0.35 cpn will double to 0.70, your $1 cpn to $2, etc.
Some of the best places to score great deals  are drugstores. You're probably calling me crazy but try it! Most drugstores offer some type of reward for purchasing certain items (register rewards, extra care bucks, up+rewards) These print on your reciept and you can use it towards a future purchase. Example: Gillette razors are on sale for $9.97, I have a $4.00 cpn and get $5 up+reward for purchase. So I buy one razor at $5.97 and use my second cpn and up+reward to buy a second one in my second transaction making it only $0.97!! $6.94 for two razors that retail at $23.98! Don't be ashamed to make several transactions either, if it saves you money why not?!?! The lady grumbling behind you in line will just have to get over it!!
I hope that this has given you some help and insight, of course my scatterbrained way of writing may have confused you. (But I certainly hope not!) Feel free to post any suggestions or ask any questions , I will do my best to answer or direct you to someone that can.These are just a few of many tips I have learned and  I will post more as it comes to me, I know i've probably left a lot out. Just remember that you don't have to be a mathematician (I HATE math!!) or lots of free time to do this, if I can do it I know you can! So goodnight all and HAPPY SAVING :)

2 comments:

  1. Great advice! I love that it's practical and, like you said, not a "prepare for nuclear fallout" kind of blog. This is something that regular people can do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to check out blog hops and join. You'll get a lot of readers/followers that way, FAST!!

    ReplyDelete